Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Community Service Learning (Topic of choice for marking)

Hey Everyone,

One Good / Two Bad

I hope everyone is having a good week. It is getting well into midterm season and I bet everyone is getting pretty stressed out, I know I am. It may be the middle marker in the term for some classes but in my CSL program I am just beginning. I have been placed with a fantastic group on campus called Sustain-SU, formerly know as ECOS. Our first meeting was held last Wednesday. This group focuses on social, economic and environmental sustainability. They offer student involvement through volunteering and events, services, through their 8 ongoing major projects and collaboration with other campus organizations.


bikeThe 8 projects Sustain-SU is involved in include: Ask Sustain SU, Bike Library, Campus Gardens, Rethink (E-waste), Reusable Dish Program, Sustainability 101, Sustain exchanges and workshops. Personally I will be involved in the communication portion of the group, keeping the Facebook page updated, the twitter feed live, posting posters and taking photos during events. One event I will be involved in the planning is Party With a Purpose, an exciting bike powered concert that finishes off Sustainability Awareness Week. Keep visiting my blog if you want to keep updated on this even it will be an exciting one.
I have the honor of working with two other ALES students Cassandra and Kalin for the CSL Sustain-SU program. They are both very interesting and dedicated individuals. I am very excited to work as a group on sustainability projects and I hope to learn a lot from them. They are definitely inspiring individuals. Click on their name and you will be linked to their blog where you can get to know them better and learn more about our projects with Sustain-SU. 
Green Plant


The official Sustain-SU web site is currently under construction. As soon as it is completed I will add a link. Until then you can check out their ECOS page from 2010/2011. Here you can find out more on what sustainability is all about as well as learn more about their ongoing projects.

Enjoy!



Images from:
Top - Cogdogblog. (2010). One good/ Two bad [digital photograph], retrieved on October 15, 2011, from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cogdog/5091713405/
MIddle - Uberculture. (2005). Bike [digital photograph], retrieved on October 15, 2011, from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberculture/23086390/
Bottom - Gos, Jon. (2006). Green Plant [digital photograph], retrieved on October 15, 2011, from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongos/319344491/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie,

    I noticed your blog on the class blog and thought I'd click on it to see what your CSL students have been up to. You are really lucky to get to work for Sustain-SU. From what I can tell, it is a great initiative. They have a number of great projects planned for this year and I'll definitely be reading your blog updates, Facebook messages and Tweets about them.

    Have fun with it!

    Ps. I'm loving the green theme of your blog. It suits your position at Sustain-SU.

    Have a good day,
    Julianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julianna,

    Thanks so much! I am absolutely loving volunteering with SUSTAIN-SU. I hope to continue volunteering with them even after my placement with CSL is completed. I have posted my rough draft Pecha Kucha that I made and my group and I are finishing up some editing and adding in all the projects that SUSTAIN-SU is doing. The new version should be posted by Tuesday next week if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete